2018 Autumn Bucket List

By diana - 9:30 AM

Summer is trying to stick around a bit here in the Mid Atlantic I mean Northeast

PHILLY.

Summer is trying to stick around here in Philadelphia with temps staying in the 80s and the rain of the summer finally subsiding. My love of Autumn won't be squandered, though. Now that it's officially October and PSLs have been out for over a month! So, to make sure I don't miss anything this year, I have compiled a list of the top ten things I want to do this Autumn.



1. Go apple-picking at an apple orchard
Sad to say, all those years living in the Pacific Northwest never once caught me at an apple orchard. Now I pay $3 a pound for apples with my home state's sticker on them!


2. Have a scary movie marathon
I'm terrified of scary movies and suffer from sleep paralysis with the occasional sleep paralysis demon, so this is gonna be an interesting one. *Must remember to sedate self with lots of Halloween candy.

3. Bake
My apple pie is legendary and I'm determined to make something pumpkin flavored this year!

4. Go to a haunted house
I've only been to one and it was in high school and I vaguely remember enjoying myself. Bring it on!

5. Carve pumpkins
This is something I did for the very first time, two years ago. Last year I was in my tiny apartment with nowhere to put carved pumpkins so I had to skip the festivities. This year I have a porch and can carve and display all the pumpkins I want!

6. Take a mini road trip and ogle at the fall foliage
 This is another uniquely East Coast thing - trees with leaves that change colors! In the PNW you get a few trees here and there but driving along the Delaware with trees ranging a spectrum of bright red to dark green, it's a sight to behold!

7. Go to a football game
Professional, high school, I don't care! The act of sitting, bundled up in a sweater with a thermos while you cheer on the home team cannot be beat.


8. Attend a county fair
Back in Washington these were well known. I'm having a hard time finding a true county fair - with pig racing and a rodeo and elephant ears. But I've got a couple weeks left! I'll find one!

9. Visit a corn maze
I get to pull my Hunter boots out one time during the year and this is it! My first autumn here in the East Coast, I was going for a job in the state park by my house when I broke off onto an unfamiliar path and found myself in the middle of a corn field. I was the only one around as far as I could see (which, of course, isn't very far.) Everything was silent. Then before me was a deer, just staring at me. Apparently I had startled it. I watched it squeal and hop backward and out of sight. So, to me, corn mazes symbolize the beginning of the autumnal season!



10. Write a book
Since 2009 I have challenged myself to write a novel in the month of October. It started because I am competitive and wanted to complete a novel before NaNoWriMo started on November 1st, but now it is a way to ensure I spend some time each year really getting my creative juices flowing. So far I have written about 1,000 words. Someone send help!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments