apple of my eye

By diana - 12:41 PM

Well folks it's the middle of October but I can finally say I've been ticking off things on my Autumn Bucket List

Last weekend, Peter & I took a drive to a local apple orchard, Solebury Orchards. To be honest, I had never heard of them before, but let's be real Bucks County is full of these gems. It was off the main road, down a wooded street. There was ample parking and a trail that led to the market. We were guided onto a wagon - the driver, we learned, grew his own apples on an orchard in Washington! What are the odds?! The wagon ride took us to a plethora of trees and we were basically told to have at it.

Pickings were a bit slim, which we chalk up to the fact that it was late in the day and we had a very wet summer, causing the newer fruit to blossom late. Or so I'm told - I know next to nothing about gardening. Some guys asked me the name of the flower I was looking at, and all I could do was stare at them. Black Thumb McGee over here. 


Despite how desperately I wanted the validation of wearing a jacket on this apple picking adventure, the weather was not working with me and it was definitely about 70 degrees. The picture is from this far away because otherwise the beads of sweat would just be too obvious and ruin the ~aesthetic~.




We ended up collecting about nine pounds of apples, with dreams of homemade apple pie and spiced applesauce in our little heads. In realty, after we stood in line for apple cider donuts (which sold out in front of our very sad eyes), and sipped some apple cider whiskey, it was too late to make pie - a sentence I never thought I'd have to string together. 




I am deeply ashamed to admit that all this fun was to be had while I lived in the Pacific Northwest - where the apples flow like wine - yet I never got around to going to one. If there's one near you, get out and do it. All the apple flavored breakfasts and pastries are at your fingertips!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments