weekend in paradise

By diana - 8:54 PM

I started this year off right with a quick weekend getaway to St. Croix, a US Virgin Island. Peter had to be there for work, and having never been to the Caribbean before, I decided to stow away for part of his trip. 


We rented a soft top Jeep Wrangler and the first thing we did after getting off the plane was pop off the top! Our resort, Sandcastles on the Beach, is a beachfront resort just outside of Frederiksted. This resort boasted continental breakfast, free snorkel gear, and private beach access. The weather was a nice 80 degrees and we headed right out for the island specialty: tacos.



To be honest, I was fighting a cold pretty terribly when we landed and into the first day. Luckily, Peter was at work that first day so I was able to sleep until noon and really come to understand the meaning of the term "rest & relaxation". 


Saturday we traveled to the opposite end of the island to explore Christiansted. This part of the island seemed much more populated with more activities for tourists. We wandered the streets and popped into a few shops - Peter was on the hunt for his favorite pepper sauce. One thing about the island that struck me the most was it's wildlife. Wild chickens run abundant and we even saw a few iguanas! 





We stopped in at Shupes on the boardwalk for some drinks and lunch at which point an old mill caught our eye. We wandered over to discover Mutiny vodka - a vodka made from local breadfruit instead of your traditional potato. It was delicious! The views weren't bad either.





After a bit more shopping we hopped back in the Jeep to return to our side of the island, but, since we had the Jeep, it seemed only reasonable to take the mountain route. We nearly ran into a few chickens, some giant potholes, and this poor hermit crab. We moved him back into the brush and continued on our way.





By far one of the most exciting things about this entire trip was the snorkeling. The water was usually about 70 degrees and the brightest, most tropical fish I've ever seen were just past the shore. I am not a confident swimmer by any means, but as soon as I had that snorkel in my mouth, I was out further than I have ever dared to go before - and it was so worth it! Sea urchins, flounder, butterfly fish, white margates, and more circled me in plain view. A white mullet swam into my hand! Every day we would head barefoot out of our hotel room and twenty yards later, we were submerged in the ocean. I have the sunburn to prove it! Leaving was the hardest thing I've had to do so far this year. Here's to planning another trip back.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments